Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fort Augustus Abbey and School block
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0128
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
PERIOD
1950s; 1960s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32020
KEYWORDS
abbeys
schools
forts
postcards
Fort Augustus Abbey and School block

This postcard shows Fort Augustus Abbey and school block (left). The abbey was previously the site of a military fort built by General Wade after the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715. The fort was named after Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland.

In 1876, parts of the fort were used to form the basic structure for the abbey and school of the Benedictine Order. Monks remained at the abbey until as recently as 1998

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fort Augustus Abbey and School block

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1950s; 1960s

abbeys; schools; forts; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Fort Augustus Abbey and school block (left). The abbey was previously the site of a military fort built by General Wade after the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715. The fort was named after Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland. <br /> <br /> In 1876, parts of the fort were used to form the basic structure for the abbey and school of the Benedictine Order. Monks remained at the abbey until as recently as 1998