Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Junction of Perth and Fort William roads, Newtonmore
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0137
PLACENAME
Newtonmore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32030
KEYWORDS
junctions
roads
bypasses
A9
Thomas Telford
postcards
Junction of Perth and Fort William roads, Newtonmore

This postcard shows the junction of the Perth and Fort William roads at Newtonmore. In 1817, a Parliamentary road was built through Newtonmore by Thomas Telford. This was to link Kingussie to Fort William.

In 1808, after the building of a new bridge over the River Spey just south of Newtonmore, it was decided to re-route the main Inverness to Perth road, through the village. This had originally followed a route via a ford and ferry between Kingussie and the nearby Ruthven Barracks. The main road to the north remained until the A9 bypass was built to the east, in the 1970s

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Junction of Perth and Fort William roads, Newtonmore

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

1950s

junctions; roads; bypasses; A9; Thomas Telford; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the junction of the Perth and Fort William roads at Newtonmore. In 1817, a Parliamentary road was built through Newtonmore by Thomas Telford. This was to link Kingussie to Fort William.<br /> <br /> In 1808, after the building of a new bridge over the River Spey just south of Newtonmore, it was decided to re-route the main Inverness to Perth road, through the village. This had originally followed a route via a ford and ferry between Kingussie and the nearby Ruthven Barracks. The main road to the north remained until the A9 bypass was built to the east, in the 1970s