Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Tomnahurich Bridge, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0146
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1910s; 1920s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32041
KEYWORDS
canals
Caledonian Canal
boats
boat
bridges
postcards
Tomnahurich Bridge, Inverness

This postcard showsTomnahurich Bridge over the Caledonian Canal. It was replaced in 1937, by a new structure designed by Crouch and Hogg. The house beside the bridge is probably the bridge-keeper's house and dates from 1813.

The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase' , a series of 8 locks at Banavie. Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803 by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Tomnahurich Bridge, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1910s; 1920s

canals; Caledonian Canal; boats; boat; bridges; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard showsTomnahurich Bridge over the Caledonian Canal. It was replaced in 1937, by a new structure designed by Crouch and Hogg. The house beside the bridge is probably the bridge-keeper's house and dates from 1813.<br /> <br /> The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase' , a series of 8 locks at Banavie. Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803 by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47