Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
View of Inverness from Huntly Street ..
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0147
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32042
KEYWORDS
churches
Free High Church
St. Columba's
castles
Inverness Castle
courthouses
court house
court houses
postcards
steeples
spires
towers
View of Inverness from Huntly Street  ..

This postcard shows a view of Inverness, from Huntly Street. To the far left is the Free High Church, now St. Columba's. Situated on the site of an old brewery, it was built between 1851 and 1852 to a Perpendicular Gothic design by MacKenzie and Mathews. It was badly damaged by fire in 1939 but was restored between 1948 and 1953.

In the centre of the photograph is Inverness Town Steeple, built in 1791. To the far right is Inverness Castle.The present sandstone buildings were erected in 1833-36 to a plan by William Burn of Edinburgh but the site has been occupied by various fortified structures since as far back as the 1100s. Today the castle serves as an administrative centre and courthouse

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

View of Inverness from Huntly Street ..

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1900s

churches; Free High Church; St. Columba's; castles; Inverness Castle; courthouses; court house; court houses; postcards; steeples; spires; towers

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of Inverness, from Huntly Street. To the far left is the Free High Church, now St. Columba's. Situated on the site of an old brewery, it was built between 1851 and 1852 to a Perpendicular Gothic design by MacKenzie and Mathews. It was badly damaged by fire in 1939 but was restored between 1948 and 1953. <br /> <br /> In the centre of the photograph is Inverness Town Steeple, built in 1791. To the far right is Inverness Castle.The present sandstone buildings were erected in 1833-36 to a plan by William Burn of Edinburgh but the site has been occupied by various fortified structures since as far back as the 1100s. Today the castle serves as an administrative centre and courthouse