Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
East End of Newtonmore
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0163
PLACENAME
Newtonmore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
DATE OF IMAGE
PERIOD
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32060
KEYWORDS
villages
houses
house
Stonemuir
Queen Victoria
streets
street
postcards
East End of Newtonmore

This postcard shows a view of the east end of Newtonmore. This is a typical example of the type of road surface in use on village main streets, during the early 20th century.

Situated in the southern end of Badenoch and Strathspey on the upper reaches of the Spey there is no record of a village at Newtonmore before the beginning of the 19th century. There is evidence of prehistoric settlements and early townships in nearby Glen Banchor. It was not until after the building of a bridge over the Spey in 1756 and the clearances at the end of the eighteenth century that a settlement was built on the new north road. According to the Third Statistical Account the village was founded by James Macpherson, son of the James Macpherson who "translated" the poems of Ossian.

Originally called Stonemuir the name was changed in 1828 to Newtownmore - the town on the moor. At the beginning of the 19th century the biggest cattle makets between Inverness and Falkirk were held here. With Queen Victoria's interest in the Highlands, she had visited and even considered buying nearby Ardverikie, Newtonmore grew as a holiday resort, the large estates providing hunting, shooting and fishing for the gentry.

At 800ft above sea level, sheltered from north winds by the Monadhliadh Mountains and protected by the Grampians and the Cairngorms this quiet, traditional village is reckoned to be the most inwardly point in Scotland, equidistant from the Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea and is one of the driest parts of the country. The climate has made it a popular health resort and in recent years it has been a central location for the BBC television series "Monarch of the Glen"

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

East End of Newtonmore

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

villages; houses; house; Stonemuir; Queen Victoria; streets; street; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of the east end of Newtonmore. This is a typical example of the type of road surface in use on village main streets, during the early 20th century.<br /> <br /> Situated in the southern end of Badenoch and Strathspey on the upper reaches of the Spey there is no record of a village at Newtonmore before the beginning of the 19th century. There is evidence of prehistoric settlements and early townships in nearby Glen Banchor. It was not until after the building of a bridge over the Spey in 1756 and the clearances at the end of the eighteenth century that a settlement was built on the new north road. According to the Third Statistical Account the village was founded by James Macpherson, son of the James Macpherson who "translated" the poems of Ossian. <br /> <br /> Originally called Stonemuir the name was changed in 1828 to Newtownmore - the town on the moor. At the beginning of the 19th century the biggest cattle makets between Inverness and Falkirk were held here. With Queen Victoria's interest in the Highlands, she had visited and even considered buying nearby Ardverikie, Newtonmore grew as a holiday resort, the large estates providing hunting, shooting and fishing for the gentry. <br /> <br /> At 800ft above sea level, sheltered from north winds by the Monadhliadh Mountains and protected by the Grampians and the Cairngorms this quiet, traditional village is reckoned to be the most inwardly point in Scotland, equidistant from the Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea and is one of the driest parts of the country. The climate has made it a popular health resort and in recent years it has been a central location for the BBC television series "Monarch of the Glen"