Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Sir John's Square in Thurso
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0168
PLACENAME
Thurso
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Thurso
PERIOD
1910s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32066
KEYWORDS
fountains
statues
Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster
Sir Tollemache Sinclair
squares
postcards
Sir John's Square in Thurso

This postcard shows Sir John's Square in Thurso. To the right is a horse trough and behind it a drinking fountain, erected by Sir George Sinclair, son of Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster. The gardens in the square were given to the town by Sir Tollemache Sinclair, grandson of John Sinclair.

In 1798, Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster laid out the new town of Thurso, to the west and south of the old town. Sinclair was a prominent nobleman whose achievements included the compilation of the First Statistical Account of Scotland. A statue sits within the gardens at Sir John's Square, in remembrance to him (left of fountain)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Sir John's Square in Thurso

CAITHNESS: Thurso

1910s

fountains; statues; Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster; Sir Tollemache Sinclair; squares; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Sir John's Square in Thurso. To the right is a horse trough and behind it a drinking fountain, erected by Sir George Sinclair, son of Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster. The gardens in the square were given to the town by Sir Tollemache Sinclair, grandson of John Sinclair.<br /> <br /> In 1798, Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster laid out the new town of Thurso, to the west and south of the old town. Sinclair was a prominent nobleman whose achievements included the compilation of the First Statistical Account of Scotland. A statue sits within the gardens at Sir John's Square, in remembrance to him (left of fountain)