Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Herring fishing season at Wick Harbour
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0173
PLACENAME
Wick
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32071
KEYWORDS
fishing
herring
ships
ship
harbours
Thomas Telford
postcards
Herring fishing season at Wick Harbour

This postcard shows steam vessels at Wick Harbour, during the herring fishing season. Motor and horse drawn vehicles can be seen at the quayside, transporting barrels of salted herring.

In 1768, Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster built a quay at Wick in order to promote the town as a herring fishing centre. Progress was made with the intervention of the British Fisheries Society, harbour improvements made by Thomas Telford in 1810 and the building of an additional pier in 1831. The industry reached its peak between 1860 and 1890, when as many as 1000 boats were based at the harbour.

Failure to attempt to conserve stock contributed to the herring being fished out by the early 1900s. By 1930 less than 30 fishing boats remained at the harbour

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Herring fishing season at Wick Harbour

CAITHNESS: Wick

1930s

fishing; herring; ships; ship; harbours; Thomas Telford; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows steam vessels at Wick Harbour, during the herring fishing season. Motor and horse drawn vehicles can be seen at the quayside, transporting barrels of salted herring.<br /> <br /> In 1768, Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster built a quay at Wick in order to promote the town as a herring fishing centre. Progress was made with the intervention of the British Fisheries Society, harbour improvements made by Thomas Telford in 1810 and the building of an additional pier in 1831. The industry reached its peak between 1860 and 1890, when as many as 1000 boats were based at the harbour.<br /> <br /> Failure to attempt to conserve stock contributed to the herring being fished out by the early 1900s. By 1930 less than 30 fishing boats remained at the harbour