Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bridge Street, Wick
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0174
PLACENAME
Wick
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
PERIOD
1910s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32072
KEYWORDS
hotels
Station Hotel
banks
town halls
court houses
town hall
court house
Pulteneytown
Vikings
administrative centres
postcards
Pultneytown
Bridge Street, Wick

This postcard shows an example of everyday life on Bridge Street in Wick On the left is the Station Hotel and opposite it, the Royal Bank of Scotland, built in 1830. Other significant buildings on the street include the Clydesdale Bank, the town hall and the Sheriff Court House. In the foreground is the bridge, traversing the River Wick. Opened in 1807, it leads into the town formerly known as Pulteneytown.

The name 'Wick' comes from the Norse for 'bay'. During the 900s, the Vikings used the mouth of the River Wick as a harbour for their trading boats and longships. Wick remained the administrative centre of Caithness for almost 500 years

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bridge Street, Wick

CAITHNESS: Wick

1910s

hotels; Station Hotel; banks; town halls; court houses; town hall; court house; Pulteneytown; Vikings; administrative centres; postcards; Pultneytown

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows an example of everyday life on Bridge Street in Wick On the left is the Station Hotel and opposite it, the Royal Bank of Scotland, built in 1830. Other significant buildings on the street include the Clydesdale Bank, the town hall and the Sheriff Court House. In the foreground is the bridge, traversing the River Wick. Opened in 1807, it leads into the town formerly known as Pulteneytown.<br /> <br /> The name 'Wick' comes from the Norse for 'bay'. During the 900s, the Vikings used the mouth of the River Wick as a harbour for their trading boats and longships. Wick remained the administrative centre of Caithness for almost 500 years