Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Argyle Square, Wick
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0175
PLACENAME
Wick
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32073
KEYWORDS
Pulteneytown
Thomas Telford
burghs
British Fisheries Society
Sir William Pulteney
Wick Royal Burgh
postcards
Pultneytown
Argyle Square, Wick

This postcard shows the newly laid out gardens at Argyle Square, in Wick. Before the turn of the 20th century this area was the centre of Pulteneytown, a burgh designed by Thomas Telford.

In 1805, a harbour was built and Pulteneytown laid out for the British Fisheries Society. The society was formed to persuade evicted crofters to take up fishing. The town was planned to a grid design and many of the streets were named after commissioners of the society including Pulteneytown itself, named after Sir William Pulteney.

In 1902, as part of a local government reorganisation, Pulteneytown became part of Wick Royal Burgh

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Argyle Square, Wick

CAITHNESS: Wick

1920s

Pulteneytown; Thomas Telford; burghs; British Fisheries Society; Sir William Pulteney; Wick Royal Burgh; postcards; Pultneytown

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the newly laid out gardens at Argyle Square, in Wick. Before the turn of the 20th century this area was the centre of Pulteneytown, a burgh designed by Thomas Telford. <br /> <br /> In 1805, a harbour was built and Pulteneytown laid out for the British Fisheries Society. The society was formed to persuade evicted crofters to take up fishing. The town was planned to a grid design and many of the streets were named after commissioners of the society including Pulteneytown itself, named after Sir William Pulteney.<br /> <br /> In 1902, as part of a local government reorganisation, Pulteneytown became part of Wick Royal Burgh