Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ruins of Bernera Barracks, Glenelg
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0180
PLACENAME
Glenelg
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32078
KEYWORDS
barracks
General Wade
poor house
Highland Clearances
Glenelg
postcards
Ruins of Bernera Barracks, Glenelg

This postcard shows the ruins of Bernera Barracks, built by General Wade at Glenelg.

The Barracks, the last of four in the Highlands, were constructed about 1723 to garrison Government soldiers sent to subdue the local population, control the sea lane in the Sound of Sleat and to prevent any further Jacobite risings. The Grade A listed building was occupied by the military until the 1790s before being used as a poor house and shelter for people made homeless by the Clearances

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ruins of Bernera Barracks, Glenelg

INVERNESS: Glenelg

1930s

barracks; General Wade; poor house; Highland Clearances; Glenelg ; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the ruins of Bernera Barracks, built by General Wade at Glenelg.<br /> <br /> The Barracks, the last of four in the Highlands, were constructed about 1723 to garrison Government soldiers sent to subdue the local population, control the sea lane in the Sound of Sleat and to prevent any further Jacobite risings. The Grade A listed building was occupied by the military until the 1790s before being used as a poor house and shelter for people made homeless by the Clearances