Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Golspie
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0181
PLACENAME
Golspie
DISTRICT
Golspie, Rogart and Lairg
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Golspie
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32079
KEYWORDS
fisher villages
Highland Clearances
Northern Railway
colleges
schools
postcards
railways
Golspie

This postcard shows the village of Golspie, in east Sutherland. Situated eleven miles from Dornoch, the town dates back to the early 1800s.

Golspie was once a small fishing village with only a handful of thatched houses but, due to the effects of the Highland Clearances, the village rapidly developed into a town. People were evicted from the nearby straths, especially from the town of Lairg, and settled in the newly laid out streets of Golspie. By the 1830s the town had a population of around 450 and its facilities included a post office, a bank, inns, a school and a nearby mill.

Golspie went through a second stage of development when in 1868 it became the terminus for the Northern Railway. In 1903, a technical college was built in the town, which today is incorporated into Golspie High School

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Golspie

SUTHERLAND: Golspie

1890s

fisher villages; Highland Clearances; Northern Railway; colleges; schools; postcards; railways

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the village of Golspie, in east Sutherland. Situated eleven miles from Dornoch, the town dates back to the early 1800s.<br /> <br /> Golspie was once a small fishing village with only a handful of thatched houses but, due to the effects of the Highland Clearances, the village rapidly developed into a town. People were evicted from the nearby straths, especially from the town of Lairg, and settled in the newly laid out streets of Golspie. By the 1830s the town had a population of around 450 and its facilities included a post office, a bank, inns, a school and a nearby mill.<br /> <br /> Golspie went through a second stage of development when in 1868 it became the terminus for the Northern Railway. In 1903, a technical college was built in the town, which today is incorporated into Golspie High School