Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kylesku Ferry
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0184
PLACENAME
Kylesku
DISTRICT
Eddrachillis and Durness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Eddrachillis
PERIOD
1960s; 1970s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32081
KEYWORDS
ferries
ferry boats
Kylesku narrows
postcards
ferry boats
Kylesku Ferry

This postcard shows the Kyelsku ferry in Sutherland.

Kylesku is a small settlement in north-west Sutherland, where Loch Glencoul and Loch Glendhu join to flow through Loch a' Chairn into Eddrachillis Bay.

The Kylesku narrows were crossed by a ferry from around 1800 until a bridge was built in 1984.The first ferries used were rowing boats. Any commercial traffic at this time comprised of cattle travelling to central Scotland and they would swim across the narrows. Car-carrying ferries, like the one shown on the postcard, were introduced between the World Wars. In 1975, the first ferry capable of transporting commercial vehicles was introduced. The Kylesku ferry remained free of charge for most of its operational years

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kylesku Ferry

SUTHERLAND: Eddrachillis

1960s; 1970s

ferries; ferry boats; Kylesku narrows; postcards; ferry boats

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the Kyelsku ferry in Sutherland.<br /> <br /> Kylesku is a small settlement in north-west Sutherland, where Loch Glencoul and Loch Glendhu join to flow through Loch a' Chairn into Eddrachillis Bay.<br /> <br /> The Kylesku narrows were crossed by a ferry from around 1800 until a bridge was built in 1984.The first ferries used were rowing boats. Any commercial traffic at this time comprised of cattle travelling to central Scotland and they would swim across the narrows. Car-carrying ferries, like the one shown on the postcard, were introduced between the World Wars. In 1975, the first ferry capable of transporting commercial vehicles was introduced. The Kylesku ferry remained free of charge for most of its operational years