Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The pier at John O' Groats
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0185
PLACENAME
John o' Groats
DISTRICT
Caithness - Northern
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Canisbay
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32082
KEYWORDS
piers
lobsters
crabs
fishing
Jan de Groot
ferries
postcards
The pier at John O' Groats

This postcard shows the pier at John O' Groats. An extension has been added to the original pier. The small harbour is regularly used by fishermen, to catch lobster and crab. A ferry also runs from John O' Groats, carrying foot passengers across to Orkney between May and September.

John O' Groats is the most northerly village on the British mainland. It is named after Jan de Groot, a Dutchman who arrived in the area in the late 1400s. In 1486, De Groot was given the first license to operate a ferry between John O' Groats and Orkney.

Local folklore suggests that the Dutchman built an octagonal house at John O' Groats with an eight-sided table inside, so he could eat with his eight sons. This prevented arguments over who was closest to the head of the table and meant that all sons could find favour with their father. The John O' Groats Hotel is situated where the house was thought to have been. A flagpole by the side of the hotel marks the spot and the house's octagonal shape is reflected in the architecture of the hotel

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The pier at John O' Groats

CAITHNESS: Canisbay

1930s

piers; lobsters; crabs; fishing; Jan de Groot; ferries; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the pier at John O' Groats. An extension has been added to the original pier. The small harbour is regularly used by fishermen, to catch lobster and crab. A ferry also runs from John O' Groats, carrying foot passengers across to Orkney between May and September. <br /> <br /> John O' Groats is the most northerly village on the British mainland. It is named after Jan de Groot, a Dutchman who arrived in the area in the late 1400s. In 1486, De Groot was given the first license to operate a ferry between John O' Groats and Orkney. <br /> <br /> Local folklore suggests that the Dutchman built an octagonal house at John O' Groats with an eight-sided table inside, so he could eat with his eight sons. This prevented arguments over who was closest to the head of the table and meant that all sons could find favour with their father. The John O' Groats Hotel is situated where the house was thought to have been. A flagpole by the side of the hotel marks the spot and the house's octagonal shape is reflected in the architecture of the hotel