Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Urquhart Castle near Loch Ness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0186
PLACENAME
Drumnadrochit
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32083
KEYWORDS
castles
Loch Ness
Alan Durward
citadels
Independence Wars
Lord of the Isles
Jacobites
postcards
Urquhart Castle near Loch Ness

This postcard shows Urquhart Castle by the shores of Loch Ness. Although evidence has been found of a fort situated on this site during the Iron Age, earliest written records of a castle existing here date from around 1200. Some of the ruins which exist today originate from a 13th century fortification held by Alan Durward from 1229.This was situated on the highest mound and consisted of a stone-walled citadel.

Except for the citadel, most of the other ruins date from the 14th century. The castle has been besieged many times throughout its history, and was captured and re-captured by Scots and English during the Independence Wars. It was sacked by The Lord of the Isles in 1513 and the entire area was laid to waste. At the end of the 17th century, the castle was packed with explosives and blown up, so that it could not be used as a Jacobite base.

Between 1912 and 1922, the castle was excavated and repaired. It is now under the control of Historic Scotland

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Urquhart Castle near Loch Ness

INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston

1950s

castles; Loch Ness; Alan Durward; citadels; Independence Wars; Lord of the Isles; Jacobites; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Urquhart Castle by the shores of Loch Ness. Although evidence has been found of a fort situated on this site during the Iron Age, earliest written records of a castle existing here date from around 1200. Some of the ruins which exist today originate from a 13th century fortification held by Alan Durward from 1229.This was situated on the highest mound and consisted of a stone-walled citadel. <br /> <br /> Except for the citadel, most of the other ruins date from the 14th century. The castle has been besieged many times throughout its history, and was captured and re-captured by Scots and English during the Independence Wars. It was sacked by The Lord of the Isles in 1513 and the entire area was laid to waste. At the end of the 17th century, the castle was packed with explosives and blown up, so that it could not be used as a Jacobite base. <br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1922, the castle was excavated and repaired. It is now under the control of Historic Scotland