Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Canal locks from the monastery tower, Fort Augustus
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0190
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus Abbey; Fort Augustus Monastery; St Benedict's Monastery; St Benedict's College
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32088
KEYWORDS
Caledonian Canal
canals
locks
Thomas Telford
ships
steamers
Loch Ness
postcards
Canal locks from the monastery tower, Fort Augustus

This postcard shows a view of the Caledonian Canal locks at Fort Augustus, from the monastery tower. To the right is the railway bridge. The railway ran from Fort William to Fort Augustus and connected with the Loch Ness steamers.

A flight of five locks run through Fort Augustus, as the Caledonian Canal drops down to join Loch Ness.

The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were then able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase', a series of 8 locks at Banavie near the western end of the waterway. Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803, by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Canal locks from the monastery tower, Fort Augustus

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1920s; 1930s

Caledonian Canal; canals; locks; Thomas Telford; ships; steamers; Loch Ness; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of the Caledonian Canal locks at Fort Augustus, from the monastery tower. To the right is the railway bridge. The railway ran from Fort William to Fort Augustus and connected with the Loch Ness steamers.<br /> <br /> A flight of five locks run through Fort Augustus, as the Caledonian Canal drops down to join Loch Ness.<br /> <br /> The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were then able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase', a series of 8 locks at Banavie near the western end of the waterway. Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803, by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47