Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Urquhart Castle, Loch Ness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0197
PLACENAME
Drumnadrochit
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston
DATE OF IMAGE
PERIOD
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32095
KEYWORDS
Urquhart Castle
Castle Urquhart
Loch Ness
Alan Durward
Independence Wars
Lord of the Isles
Jacobites
postcards
Glenurquhart
Glen Urquhart
castles
Urquhart Castle, Loch Ness

This postcard shows Urquhart Castle by the shores of Loch Ness. Although evidence has been found that a fort has been situated on this site since the Iron Age, earliest written records of a castle existing here date from around 1200. Some of the ruins which exist today originate from a 13th century fortification held by Alan Durward from 1229. This was situated on the highest mound and consisted of a stone-walled citadel.

Except for the citadel, most of the other ruins date from the 14th century. The castle has been besieged many times throughout its history, and was captured and re-captured by Scots and English during the Wars of Independence. It was sacked by 'The Lord of the Isles' in 1513 and the entire area was laid to waste. At the end of the 17th century, the castle was packed with explosives and blown up, so that it could not be used as a Jacobite base

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Urquhart Castle, Loch Ness

INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston

Urquhart Castle; Castle Urquhart; Loch Ness; Alan Durward; Independence Wars; Lord of the Isles; Jacobites; postcards; Glenurquhart; Glen Urquhart; castles

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Urquhart Castle by the shores of Loch Ness. Although evidence has been found that a fort has been situated on this site since the Iron Age, earliest written records of a castle existing here date from around 1200. Some of the ruins which exist today originate from a 13th century fortification held by Alan Durward from 1229. This was situated on the highest mound and consisted of a stone-walled citadel. <br /> <br /> Except for the citadel, most of the other ruins date from the 14th century. The castle has been besieged many times throughout its history, and was captured and re-captured by Scots and English during the Wars of Independence. It was sacked by 'The Lord of the Isles' in 1513 and the entire area was laid to waste. At the end of the 17th century, the castle was packed with explosives and blown up, so that it could not be used as a Jacobite base