Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
John O'Groats
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0200
PLACENAME
John o' Groats
DISTRICT
Caithness - Northern
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Canisbay
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32098
KEYWORDS
hotels
inns
tourism
Jan De Groot
postcards
John O'Groats

This postcard shows a view of John O'Groats in Caithness. In the background is the John O'Groats House Hotel. An upturned boat sits by the shore, possibly being utilised as a shed or even a dwelling.

The hotel was established in 1875, with several extensions added at later dates. It is situated on the site of an earlier house, reputedly octagonal in shape, and built by Jan De Groot. The village takes its name from the Dutchman.

De Groot was given the first licence to operate a ferry over to Orkney, in 1486. Local folklore suggests that the Dutchman built the octagonal house with an eight-sided table inside, so he could eat with his eight sons. This prevented arguments over who was closest to the head of the table and meant that all sons could find favour with their father. A flagpole by the side of the hotel marks the spot where the house is thought to have existed. The building's octagonal shape is reflected in the architecture of the John O' Groat's Hotel

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

John O'Groats

CAITHNESS: Canisbay

1910s

hotels; inns; tourism; Jan De Groot; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of John O'Groats in Caithness. In the background is the John O'Groats House Hotel. An upturned boat sits by the shore, possibly being utilised as a shed or even a dwelling.<br /> <br /> The hotel was established in 1875, with several extensions added at later dates. It is situated on the site of an earlier house, reputedly octagonal in shape, and built by Jan De Groot. The village takes its name from the Dutchman.<br /> <br /> De Groot was given the first licence to operate a ferry over to Orkney, in 1486. Local folklore suggests that the Dutchman built the octagonal house with an eight-sided table inside, so he could eat with his eight sons. This prevented arguments over who was closest to the head of the table and meant that all sons could find favour with their father. A flagpole by the side of the hotel marks the spot where the house is thought to have existed. The building's octagonal shape is reflected in the architecture of the John O' Groat's Hotel