Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Tea Cottage and castle at Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0201
PLACENAME
Rothiemurchus
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32099
KEYWORDS
Cairngorms National Park
Rothiemurchus
Tea Cottage
Loch an Eilan
Jacobites
Battle of Cromdale
Grant
MacDonald
Bishop of Moray
John Grant of Freuchie
postcards
castles
lochs
Tea Cottage and castle at Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus

This postcard shows Tea Cottage and the castle at Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus. Loch an Eilein, which translates as 'loch with island' is situated in the heart of the Cairngorms National Park, near Aviemore.

The loch is home to the ruins of a 13th century castle, once a place of refuge during times of war. The castle came under attack from the Jacobite clan MacDonald after the Battle of Cromdale in 1690, but was successfully defended by the clan Grant. It was also used to hold Jacobite prisoners during the 1700s but afterwards fell into disrepair. Today, it provides protection for birds such as the osprey and oystercatcher.

Tea Cottage was built in the 1800s as a playhouse for the children of the Grant Laird of Rothiemurchus. During the Victorian era, the cottage became a tea room and a path was built alongside the loch to allow ladies to walk there while appreciating the views. Meanwhile, their husbands would hunt deer in the surrounding area.

During medieval times, Rothiemurchus estate came under the administration of the Bishop of Moray, the families of Comyn and Shaw owning the lands of Rothiemurchus. During the 1500s, John Grant of Freuchie obtained the estate for his son, who became the first Laird Grant of Rothiemurchus. Later, a Royal Charter gave the lands outright to the Grants and they have held the stewardship of the estate for over 400 years

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Tea Cottage and castle at Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1890s

Cairngorms National Park; Rothiemurchus; Tea Cottage; Loch an Eilan; Jacobites; Battle of Cromdale; Grant; MacDonald; Bishop of Moray; John Grant of Freuchie; postcards; castles; lochs

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Tea Cottage and the castle at Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus. Loch an Eilein, which translates as 'loch with island' is situated in the heart of the Cairngorms National Park, near Aviemore. <br /> <br /> The loch is home to the ruins of a 13th century castle, once a place of refuge during times of war. The castle came under attack from the Jacobite clan MacDonald after the Battle of Cromdale in 1690, but was successfully defended by the clan Grant. It was also used to hold Jacobite prisoners during the 1700s but afterwards fell into disrepair. Today, it provides protection for birds such as the osprey and oystercatcher.<br /> <br /> Tea Cottage was built in the 1800s as a playhouse for the children of the Grant Laird of Rothiemurchus. During the Victorian era, the cottage became a tea room and a path was built alongside the loch to allow ladies to walk there while appreciating the views. Meanwhile, their husbands would hunt deer in the surrounding area.<br /> <br /> During medieval times, Rothiemurchus estate came under the administration of the Bishop of Moray, the families of Comyn and Shaw owning the lands of Rothiemurchus. During the 1500s, John Grant of Freuchie obtained the estate for his son, who became the first Laird Grant of Rothiemurchus. Later, a Royal Charter gave the lands outright to the Grants and they have held the stewardship of the estate for over 400 years