Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kilravock Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0212
PLACENAME
Kilravock Castle
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Croy and Dalcross
DATE OF IMAGE
PERIOD
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32110
KEYWORDS
castles
families
masons
designers
postcards
Kilravock Castle

This postcard shows Kilravock Castle. It stands about 5 miles west of Nairn, near Cawdor Castle, overlooking the River Nairn. The original tower was built in 1460 by the Rose family of Nairn under the license of John, Lord of the Isles and Earl of Ross. The mansion extension was added in the 17th century. It is believed that the designer also designed Cawdor Castle as the same mason's marks are found in the doorway stonework of both castles

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kilravock Castle

NAIRN: Croy and Dalcross

castles; families; masons; designers; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Kilravock Castle. It stands about 5 miles west of Nairn, near Cawdor Castle, overlooking the River Nairn. The original tower was built in 1460 by the Rose family of Nairn under the license of John, Lord of the Isles and Earl of Ross. The mansion extension was added in the 17th century. It is believed that the designer also designed Cawdor Castle as the same mason's marks are found in the doorway stonework of both castles