Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Armadale Castle, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0214
PLACENAME
Armadale
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Sleat
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32111
KEYWORDS
castles
Gillespie Graham
David Bryce
MacDonalds of Sleat
Clan Donald Lands Trust
postcards
Armadale Castle, Skye

This postcard shows Armadale Castle on the Isle of Skye.

In 1790, the first Lord MacDonald had a mansion house built at Armadale on the Sleat Peninsula in Skye. The house was extended to a design by architect James Gillespie Graham in 1815 to form Armadale Castle. In 1855 a fire broke out and destroyed most of the original building. It was partially replaced by the central block which exists today, to a design by David Bryce. The MacDonald family eventually left the castle in 1925 to move to a smaller house nearby. The castle remained the seat of the MacDonalds of Sleat until it was purchased by the Clan Donald Lands Trust in 1971

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Armadale Castle, Skye

INVERNESS: Sleat

1910s

castles; Gillespie Graham; David Bryce; MacDonalds of Sleat; Clan Donald Lands Trust; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Armadale Castle on the Isle of Skye.<br /> <br /> In 1790, the first Lord MacDonald had a mansion house built at Armadale on the Sleat Peninsula in Skye. The house was extended to a design by architect James Gillespie Graham in 1815 to form Armadale Castle. In 1855 a fire broke out and destroyed most of the original building. It was partially replaced by the central block which exists today, to a design by David Bryce. The MacDonald family eventually left the castle in 1925 to move to a smaller house nearby. The castle remained the seat of the MacDonalds of Sleat until it was purchased by the Clan Donald Lands Trust in 1971