Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Armadale Castle, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0214_AT
PLACENAME
Armadale
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Sleat
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
32112
KEYWORDS
castles
Gillespie Graham
David Bryce
MacDonalds of Sleat
Clan Donald Lands Trust
Armadale Castle, Skye

In 1790, the first Lord MacDonald had a mansion house built at Armadale on the Sleat Peninsula in Skye. The house was extended to a design by architect James Gillespie Graham in 1815 to form Armadale Castle. In 1855 a fire broke out and destroyed most of the original building. It was partially replaced by the central block which exists today, to a design by David Bryce. The MacDonald family eventually left the castle in 1925 to move to a smaller house nearby. The castle remained the seat of the MacDonalds of Sleat until it was purchased by the Clan Donald Lands Trust in 1971

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Armadale Castle, Skye

INVERNESS: Sleat

2000s

castles; Gillespie Graham; David Bryce; MacDonalds of Sleat; Clan Donald Lands Trust;

Andrew Taylor

In 1790, the first Lord MacDonald had a mansion house built at Armadale on the Sleat Peninsula in Skye. The house was extended to a design by architect James Gillespie Graham in 1815 to form Armadale Castle. In 1855 a fire broke out and destroyed most of the original building. It was partially replaced by the central block which exists today, to a design by David Bryce. The MacDonald family eventually left the castle in 1925 to move to a smaller house nearby. The castle remained the seat of the MacDonalds of Sleat until it was purchased by the Clan Donald Lands Trust in 1971