Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Duart Castle, Mull
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0215
PLACENAME
Duart Castle
DISTRICT
Mull
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Torosay
PERIOD
1910s; 1920s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32113
KEYWORDS
castles
Clan MacLean
Sound of Mull
Jacobites
Sir Fitzroy MacLean
Sir Lachlan MacLean
postcards
Duart Castle, Mull

This postcard shows Duart Castle, home of the Clan Maclean for over 400 years. Situated on a clifftop known as 'Dubh Ard', it overlooks the Sound of Mull.

The oldest part of the castle is the courtyard, built during the 13th century by the Clan Maclean. The family were loyal supporters of the Jacobite cause, both in 1715 and 1745, but this cost them dearly when the castle was later garrisoned by Government troops. After the army's departure in 1756, the fortress was burned. It remained a ruin until 1911, when Sir Fitzroy Maclean restored it. The castle is open to visitors but still remains the home of the 28th Chief, Sir Lachlan Maclean

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Duart Castle, Mull

ARGYLL: Torosay

1910s; 1920s

castles; Clan MacLean; Sound of Mull; Jacobites; Sir Fitzroy MacLean; Sir Lachlan MacLean; postcards

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Duart Castle, home of the Clan Maclean for over 400 years. Situated on a clifftop known as 'Dubh Ard', it overlooks the Sound of Mull. <br /> <br /> The oldest part of the castle is the courtyard, built during the 13th century by the Clan Maclean. The family were loyal supporters of the Jacobite cause, both in 1715 and 1745, but this cost them dearly when the castle was later garrisoned by Government troops. After the army's departure in 1756, the fortress was burned. It remained a ruin until 1911, when Sir Fitzroy Maclean restored it. The castle is open to visitors but still remains the home of the 28th Chief, Sir Lachlan Maclean