Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Laggan Avenue, Caledonian Canal
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0223
PLACENAME
Laggan
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32122
KEYWORDS
paintings
postcards
artists
Caledonian Canal
Thomas Telford
canals
waterways
Laggan Avenue, Caledonian Canal

This postcard shows a painting of Laggan Avenue, on the Caledonian Canal, by Warren Williams.

Laggan Avenue is the canal section between Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. The avenue is lined with Scots Pines, planted when the canal was being constructed.

The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfur, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase', a series of 8 locks at Banavie. Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803, by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47.

Hugh Warren Williams was born in Liverpool on 15 November 1860 and went on to attend the Liverpool Mechanics' Institution, which at that time incorporated the city's School of Art. In 1892 he married Cicely Jones, an artist and music teacher, and in 1898 they moved with their children to north Wales. Around 1902 he began working for the postcard publisher, E.T.W. Dennis, travelling throughout Great Britain and Ireland painting over 500 landscapes. He died on 1 September 1941.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Laggan Avenue, Caledonian Canal

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

1900s

paintings; postcards; artists; Caledonian Canal; Thomas Telford; canals; waterways

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries - Illustrated postcards

This postcard shows a painting of Laggan Avenue, on the Caledonian Canal, by Warren Williams.<br /> <br /> Laggan Avenue is the canal section between Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. The avenue is lined with Scots Pines, planted when the canal was being constructed.<br /> <br /> The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfur, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase', a series of 8 locks at Banavie. Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803, by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47.<br /> <br /> Hugh Warren Williams was born in Liverpool on 15 November 1860 and went on to attend the Liverpool Mechanics' Institution, which at that time incorporated the city's School of Art. In 1892 he married Cicely Jones, an artist and music teacher, and in 1898 they moved with their children to north Wales. Around 1902 he began working for the postcard publisher, E.T.W. Dennis, travelling throughout Great Britain and Ireland painting over 500 landscapes. He died on 1 September 1941.