Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Newtonmore
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0226
PLACENAME
Newtonmore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
DATE OF IMAGE
PERIOD
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32125
KEYWORDS
Temperance Hotel
hotels
James Macpherson
Stonemuir
Queen Victoria
postcards
villages
tourism
Newtonmore

This postcard shows a general view of Newtonmore in Badenoch and Strathspey. In the foreground is the 19th century Temperance Hotel. In the background are some examples of Victorian villas.

Until the beginning of the 19th century, there was no record of a village at Newtonmore, on the upper reaches of the Spey, at the southern end of Badenoch and Strathspey. There is, however, evidence of prehistoric settlements and early townships in nearby Glen Banchor. It was not until after the building of a bridge over the Spey in 1756 and the clearances at the end of the eighteenth century that a settlement was built on the new north road. According to the Third Statistical Account, the village was founded by James Macpherson, son of the James Macpherson who "translated" the poems of Ossian.

The village was originally called Stonemuir but by 1828 it was known as Newtownmore - the new town on the moor. At the beginning of the 19th century the biggest cattle markets between Inverness and Falkirk were held here. With Queen Victoria's interest in the Highlands - she had visited and even considered buying nearby Ardverikie - Newtonmore grew as a holiday resort, the large estates providing hunting, shooting and fishing for the gentry

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Newtonmore

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

Temperance Hotel; hotels; James Macpherson; Stonemuir; Queen Victoria; postcards; villages; tourism

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a general view of Newtonmore in Badenoch and Strathspey. In the foreground is the 19th century Temperance Hotel. In the background are some examples of Victorian villas.<br /> <br /> Until the beginning of the 19th century, there was no record of a village at Newtonmore, on the upper reaches of the Spey, at the southern end of Badenoch and Strathspey. There is, however, evidence of prehistoric settlements and early townships in nearby Glen Banchor. It was not until after the building of a bridge over the Spey in 1756 and the clearances at the end of the eighteenth century that a settlement was built on the new north road. According to the Third Statistical Account, the village was founded by James Macpherson, son of the James Macpherson who "translated" the poems of Ossian. <br /> <br /> The village was originally called Stonemuir but by 1828 it was known as Newtownmore - the new town on the moor. At the beginning of the 19th century the biggest cattle markets between Inverness and Falkirk were held here. With Queen Victoria's interest in the Highlands - she had visited and even considered buying nearby Ardverikie - Newtonmore grew as a holiday resort, the large estates providing hunting, shooting and fishing for the gentry