Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Nethy Bridge
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0229
PLACENAME
Nethy Bridge
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Abernethy and Kincardine
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32129
KEYWORDS
Cairngorms National Park
Caledonain Forest
Thomas Telford
Nethy Bridge
postcards
timber industry
tourism
outdoor sports
winter sports
Nethy Bridge

This postcard shows a general view of Nethy Bridge in Badenoch. It is situated in the centre of the Cairngorms National Park, on the border of the old Caledonian Forest.
During the 1700s, the area surrounding Nethy Bridge became the hub of the timber trade. Saw mills were established and an iron furnace was built nearby to smelt ore from the Cairngorms. In 1806, Thomas Telford designed a bridge to cross the River Nethy, from which the village takes its name. The bridge remains in the heart of Nethy Bridge today. In 1863, a railway line was built which followed a route through Nethy Bridge. The line closed during the 1960s.

Today's Nethy Bridge is a centre for skiing, fishing, walking and climbing. A Victorian hotel remains in the village, as do many stone cottages. Nearby are the remains of a Norman castle

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Nethy Bridge

INVERNESS: Abernethy and Kincardine

1910s

Cairngorms National Park; Caledonain Forest; Thomas Telford; Nethy Bridge; postcards; timber industry; tourism; outdoor sports; winter sports

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a general view of Nethy Bridge in Badenoch. It is situated in the centre of the Cairngorms National Park, on the border of the old Caledonian Forest. <br /> During the 1700s, the area surrounding Nethy Bridge became the hub of the timber trade. Saw mills were established and an iron furnace was built nearby to smelt ore from the Cairngorms. In 1806, Thomas Telford designed a bridge to cross the River Nethy, from which the village takes its name. The bridge remains in the heart of Nethy Bridge today. In 1863, a railway line was built which followed a route through Nethy Bridge. The line closed during the 1960s. <br /> <br /> Today's Nethy Bridge is a centre for skiing, fishing, walking and climbing. A Victorian hotel remains in the village, as do many stone cottages. Nearby are the remains of a Norman castle