Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Spey Street, Kingussie
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0238
PLACENAME
Kingussie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
DATE OF IMAGE
PERIOD
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32137
KEYWORDS
Duke of Gordon
shinty
postcards
Spey Street, Kingussie

This postcard shows a view of Spey Street in Kingussie.

The name Kingussie comes from the Gaelic for 'the head of the pinewood'. Once the capital of Badenoch, it was once a small settlement surrounded by a pine forest. In 1799 the Duke of Gordon decided that the parish needed a village and a plan was drawn up.

The planned village of Kingussie grew slowly until it was put on the main road from Inverness to Perth and Fort William by the bridging of the River Spey and the River Laggan at the beginning of the 19th century. Another boost to the village's growth came when outlying tenants were relocated to Kingussie to make way for sheep.

The railway arrived bringing more tourism in 1863 and an 18-hole golf course was opened in 1890.

Kingussie is closely associated with shinty and the Camanachd Association was formed in the village in 1893. The local shinty team, Kingussie Camanachd, entered the Guinness Book of Records as the most successful team in any sport

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Spey Street, Kingussie

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

Duke of Gordon; shinty; postcards;

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of Spey Street in Kingussie.<br /> <br /> The name Kingussie comes from the Gaelic for 'the head of the pinewood'. Once the capital of Badenoch, it was once a small settlement surrounded by a pine forest. In 1799 the Duke of Gordon decided that the parish needed a village and a plan was drawn up. <br /> <br /> The planned village of Kingussie grew slowly until it was put on the main road from Inverness to Perth and Fort William by the bridging of the River Spey and the River Laggan at the beginning of the 19th century. Another boost to the village's growth came when outlying tenants were relocated to Kingussie to make way for sheep. <br /> <br /> The railway arrived bringing more tourism in 1863 and an 18-hole golf course was opened in 1890. <br /> <br /> Kingussie is closely associated with shinty and the Camanachd Association was formed in the village in 1893. The local shinty team, Kingussie Camanachd, entered the Guinness Book of Records as the most successful team in any sport