Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
King Street, Kingussie
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0239_AT
PLACENAME
Kingussie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
32140
KEYWORDS
villages
streets
butcher
King Street, Kingussie

This photograph shows a view of King Street in Kingussie.

The name Kingussie comes from the Gaelic for 'the head of the pinewood'. Once the capital of Badenoch, it was once a small settlement surrounded by a pine forest. In 1799 the Duke of Gordon decided that the parish needed a village and a plan was drawn up.

The planned village of Kingussie grew slowly until it was put on the main road from Inverness to Perth and Fort William by the bridging of the River Spey and the River Laggan at the beginning of the 19th century. Another boost to the village's growth came when outlying tenants were relocated to Kingussie to make way for sheep.

The railway arrived bringing more tourism in 1863 and an 18-hole golf course was opened in 1890.

Kingussie is closely associated with shinty and the Camanachd Association was formed in the village in 1893. The local shinty team, Kingussie Camanachd, entered the Guinness Book of Records as the most successful team in any sport

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

King Street, Kingussie

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

2000s

villages; streets; butcher

Andrew Taylor

This photograph shows a view of King Street in Kingussie.<br /> <br /> The name Kingussie comes from the Gaelic for 'the head of the pinewood'. Once the capital of Badenoch, it was once a small settlement surrounded by a pine forest. In 1799 the Duke of Gordon decided that the parish needed a village and a plan was drawn up. <br /> <br /> The planned village of Kingussie grew slowly until it was put on the main road from Inverness to Perth and Fort William by the bridging of the River Spey and the River Laggan at the beginning of the 19th century. Another boost to the village's growth came when outlying tenants were relocated to Kingussie to make way for sheep. <br /> <br /> The railway arrived bringing more tourism in 1863 and an 18-hole golf course was opened in 1890. <br /> <br /> Kingussie is closely associated with shinty and the Camanachd Association was formed in the village in 1893. The local shinty team, Kingussie Camanachd, entered the Guinness Book of Records as the most successful team in any sport