Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Sacristy at Fort Augustus Abbey
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0252
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32152
KEYWORDS
forts
abbeys
Lord Lovat
monks
Benedictines
General Wade
Fort Augustus
Duke of Cumberland
postcards
architects
monastic orders
monasticism
monasteries
The Sacristy at Fort Augustus Abbey

This postcard shows the sacristy at Fort Augustus Abbey.

The original fort at Fort Augustus was purchased from the government by the 14th Lord Lovat in 1867 for use as a shooting lodge. His successor leased the buildings to the Monastic Order of Benedictines in the 1870s who began converting the buildings into an abbey, school and monastery. The original reconstruction and extension were designed by Joseph Hansom (of Hansom cab fame), with further buildings added by Peter Paul Pugin, Reginald Fairlie, Charles Gray and William Watt Allan.

General Wade built a fort in the area in 1730 and the town grew up around it. The fort was named after one of George II's sons who was later to become Duke of Cumberland, the famous 'Butcher' of Culloden

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Sacristy at Fort Augustus Abbey

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1930s

forts; abbeys; Lord Lovat; monks; Benedictines; General Wade; Fort Augustus; Duke of Cumberland; postcards; architects; monastic orders; monasticism; monasteries

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the sacristy at Fort Augustus Abbey.<br /> <br /> The original fort at Fort Augustus was purchased from the government by the 14th Lord Lovat in 1867 for use as a shooting lodge. His successor leased the buildings to the Monastic Order of Benedictines in the 1870s who began converting the buildings into an abbey, school and monastery. The original reconstruction and extension were designed by Joseph Hansom (of Hansom cab fame), with further buildings added by Peter Paul Pugin, Reginald Fairlie, Charles Gray and William Watt Allan.<br /> <br /> General Wade built a fort in the area in 1730 and the town grew up around it. The fort was named after one of George II's sons who was later to become Duke of Cumberland, the famous 'Butcher' of Culloden