Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Canal locks at Fort Augustus
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0253
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32153
KEYWORDS
canals
Caledonian Canal
canal locks
Thomas Telford
capstans
vessels
ships
boats
postcards
engineers
waterways
Canal locks at Fort Augustus

This postcard shows a vessel passing through the canal locks at Fort Augustus. Fort Augustus Abbey can be seen in the distance.

To either side of the canal, men can be seen operating the locks' capstans. Capstans were used to open and close the locks, before mechanisation. Operators would walk round and round several times, pushing the capstan as they did so and as a result, the gates and paddles would open and close. Mechanisation of the locks took place during the 1960s.

The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were then able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfur, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase', a series of 8 locks at Banavie near the western end of the waterway. Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803, by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Canal locks at Fort Augustus

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1890s

canals; Caledonian Canal; canal locks; Thomas Telford; capstans; vessels; ships; boats; postcards; engineers; waterways

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a vessel passing through the canal locks at Fort Augustus. Fort Augustus Abbey can be seen in the distance.<br /> <br /> To either side of the canal, men can be seen operating the locks' capstans. Capstans were used to open and close the locks, before mechanisation. Operators would walk round and round several times, pushing the capstan as they did so and as a result, the gates and paddles would open and close. Mechanisation of the locks took place during the 1960s.<br /> <br /> The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were then able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfur, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase', a series of 8 locks at Banavie near the western end of the waterway. Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803, by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47