Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Beauly Priory
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0258
PLACENAME
Beauly; Beauly Priory
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32159
KEYWORDS
priories
Sir John Bisset
French Valliscaulian monks
Mary, Queen of Scots
postcards
monastic orders
monasticism
monasteries
Beauly Priory

This postcard shows the interior of Beauly Priory Kirk, looking west. The priory is situated at the east end of the main square in Beauly. It was founded around 1230 by Sir John Bisset for monks belonging to the French Valliscaulian order. The order also had abbeys at Ardchattan in Argyll and Pluscarden in Moray. The Priory was altered between the 14th and 16th centuries but fell into disrepair after the Reformation.

The name 'Beauly' is derived from the French 'beau lieu', or 'beautiful place'. In 1564, Mary, Queen of Scots stayed at the priory while travelling in the Highlands

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Beauly Priory

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

1920s; 1930s

priories; Sir John Bisset; French Valliscaulian monks; Mary, Queen of Scots; postcards; monastic orders; monasticism; monasteries

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the interior of Beauly Priory Kirk, looking west. The priory is situated at the east end of the main square in Beauly. It was founded around 1230 by Sir John Bisset for monks belonging to the French Valliscaulian order. The order also had abbeys at Ardchattan in Argyll and Pluscarden in Moray. The Priory was altered between the 14th and 16th centuries but fell into disrepair after the Reformation.<br /> <br /> The name 'Beauly' is derived from the French 'beau lieu', or 'beautiful place'. In 1564, Mary, Queen of Scots stayed at the priory while travelling in the Highlands