Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bonar Bridge
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0260
PLACENAME
Bonar Bridge
DISTRICT
Dornoch and Creich
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Creich
PERIOD
1980s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32161
KEYWORDS
bridges
Thomas Telford
William Arrol
Kyle of Sutherland
postcards
engineers
Bonar Bridge

This postcard shows Bonar Bridge, near the village of Bonar Bridge in Sutherland. The bridge was erected in 1973 and replaced two former structures. The original Bonar Bridge was made of iron and was built by Thomas Telford in 1811-1812. This was washed away in the floods of 1892 and was replaced by a bridge designed by William Arrol.

Bonar Bridge village is situated on a strip of land between the Kyle of Sutherland and the Dornoch Firth. Referred to as just 'Bonar' until the erection of the first bridge across the Kyle of Sutherland, the village developed with the coming of the railway in 1864. Hotels and a golf course were created in response to demand from tourists

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bonar Bridge

SUTHERLAND: Creich

1980s

bridges; Thomas Telford; William Arrol; Kyle of Sutherland; postcards; engineers

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Bonar Bridge, near the village of Bonar Bridge in Sutherland. The bridge was erected in 1973 and replaced two former structures. The original Bonar Bridge was made of iron and was built by Thomas Telford in 1811-1812. This was washed away in the floods of 1892 and was replaced by a bridge designed by William Arrol.<br /> <br /> Bonar Bridge village is situated on a strip of land between the Kyle of Sutherland and the Dornoch Firth. Referred to as just 'Bonar' until the erection of the first bridge across the Kyle of Sutherland, the village developed with the coming of the railway in 1864. Hotels and a golf course were created in response to demand from tourists