Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Dornoch Town Centre

This postcard shows a view of Dornoch town centre in Sutherland. To the left is Dornoch Cathedral.

The Royal Burgh of Dornoch is situated on the edge of the Dornoch Firth. The town was once the administrative capital of Sutherland. Today, the town offers a wide range of facilities including two golf courses, a sandy beach, various hotels and a variety of shops. Its historic buildings include Dornoch Cathedral, a bishop's palace, a courthouse and an old town jail.

Dornoch Cathedral was constructed in the 13th century. It was founded by Gilbert of Moravia, bishop of Caithness between 1223 and 1246. The cathedral was the victim of fire in 1570, when the Mackays of Strathnaver burnt much of the town of Dornoch. The building remained roofless until 1616, when parts of the Cathedral were re-roofed to be used as the parish church. The present building is the result of restoration by William Burn, in 1835-37.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornoch Town Centre

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

1970s

Royal Burghs; Gilbert of Moravia; Mackays of Strathnaver; William Burn; Dornoch Cathedral; postcards; cathedrals; churches; palaces; jails; prisons; courthouses; court house; court houses

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of Dornoch town centre in Sutherland. To the left is Dornoch Cathedral.<br /> <br /> The Royal Burgh of Dornoch is situated on the edge of the Dornoch Firth. The town was once the administrative capital of Sutherland. Today, the town offers a wide range of facilities including two golf courses, a sandy beach, various hotels and a variety of shops. Its historic buildings include Dornoch Cathedral, a bishop's palace, a courthouse and an old town jail.<br /> <br /> Dornoch Cathedral was constructed in the 13th century. It was founded by Gilbert of Moravia, bishop of Caithness between 1223 and 1246. The cathedral was the victim of fire in 1570, when the Mackays of Strathnaver burnt much of the town of Dornoch. The building remained roofless until 1616, when parts of the Cathedral were re-roofed to be used as the parish church. The present building is the result of restoration by William Burn, in 1835-37.