Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree from Fingal's Seat, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0278
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32181
KEYWORDS
schools
Kiltaraglen
James V
Port an Righ
postcards
towns
villages
ports
Portree from Fingal's Seat, Isle of Skye

This postcard shows a view of Portree, from Fingal's Seat on the Isle of Skye. The newly built Portree High School can be seen on the far left.

Portree, the main town on Skye, is situated 34 miles north of the Kyle of Lochalsh, overlooking the Sound of Raasay. It was originally known as Kiltaraglen (the chapel at the foot of the glen). The visit, in 1540, of James V, heralded a change of name for the township to Port an Righ (King's Harbour). The King and a fleet of warships visited the town, in order to persuade the island clans to support him

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree from Fingal's Seat, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

1960s

schools; Kiltaraglen; James V; Port an Righ; postcards; towns; villages; ports

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of Portree, from Fingal's Seat on the Isle of Skye. The newly built Portree High School can be seen on the far left.<br /> <br /> Portree, the main town on Skye, is situated 34 miles north of the Kyle of Lochalsh, overlooking the Sound of Raasay. It was originally known as Kiltaraglen (the chapel at the foot of the glen). The visit, in 1540, of James V, heralded a change of name for the township to Port an Righ (King's Harbour). The King and a fleet of warships visited the town, in order to persuade the island clans to support him