Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Footbridge, Aviemore Railway Station
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0287_AT
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
32191
KEYWORDS
railway stations
railways
stations
bridges
bridge
transport
Footbridge, Aviemore Railway Station

The station was built in 1898, replacing an earlier building. It was restored in 1998, still retaining the original company colours of cream and scarlet, to recapture the atmosphere of the Victorian railway.

The first railway line to exist in Aviemore was built in 1862. By 1898 the town was an important railway junction with links to Perth, Inverness and Forres. Today, Aviemore remains an important railway junction and the station is also the departure point for the popular Strathspey Steam Railway, between Aviemore and Boat of Garten.

The Strathspey Steam Railway opened in 1978, transporting passengers between Aviemore and Boat of Garten. Its origins lie in the purchasing of the old railway line between Aviemore and Forres, by a group of railway enthusiasts. The group restored the line in 1971. Recent developments have seen the line being extended to Broomhill, half way between Boat of Garten and Grantown-on-Spey.The Broomhill terminus is more popularly known as Glenbogle Station in the television series 'Monarch Of The Glen'

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Footbridge, Aviemore Railway Station

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

2000s

railway stations; railways; stations; bridges; bridge; transport

Andrew Taylor

The station was built in 1898, replacing an earlier building. It was restored in 1998, still retaining the original company colours of cream and scarlet, to recapture the atmosphere of the Victorian railway.<br /> <br /> The first railway line to exist in Aviemore was built in 1862. By 1898 the town was an important railway junction with links to Perth, Inverness and Forres. Today, Aviemore remains an important railway junction and the station is also the departure point for the popular Strathspey Steam Railway, between Aviemore and Boat of Garten.<br /> <br /> The Strathspey Steam Railway opened in 1978, transporting passengers between Aviemore and Boat of Garten. Its origins lie in the purchasing of the old railway line between Aviemore and Forres, by a group of railway enthusiasts. The group restored the line in 1971. Recent developments have seen the line being extended to Broomhill, half way between Boat of Garten and Grantown-on-Spey.The Broomhill terminus is more popularly known as Glenbogle Station in the television series 'Monarch Of The Glen'