Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Aviemore, Strathspey
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0288
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32192
KEYWORDS
tourism
ski resort
Cairn Gorm
railways
postcards
Cairngorm
Cairngorms
skiing
villages
Aviemore, Strathspey

This postcard shows the main road in the village of Aviemore. The Cairngorm Hotel is on the left.

A community existed at Aviemore as early as the 1600s, but the village only developed in the later half of the nineteenth century, with the coming of the railway. By 1892 Aviemore was an important railway junction, with lines to Inverness, Perth and Forres. In response to demand from increasing numbers of visitors, hotels were established in the village.

Aviemore saw a second period of growth in the 1960s, with the development of the Cairn Gorm ski areas. The Aviemore Centre was built in 1964, providing a wide range of services to visitors and residents of Aviemore, including a swimming pool, an ice rink, crazy golf and a cinema. However, the architecture of the building attracted much controversy and within only a decade, cracks began to appear in the concrete. Interest in the facilities gradually waned and over a period of time the buildings were demolished to allow more profitable use of the land.

Today, the town of Aviemore is once again a thriving holiday resort, offering various facilities to residents and visitors alike

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aviemore, Strathspey

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1910s

tourism; ski resort; Cairn Gorm; railways; postcards; Cairngorm; Cairngorms; skiing; villages

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the main road in the village of Aviemore. The Cairngorm Hotel is on the left.<br /> <br /> A community existed at Aviemore as early as the 1600s, but the village only developed in the later half of the nineteenth century, with the coming of the railway. By 1892 Aviemore was an important railway junction, with lines to Inverness, Perth and Forres. In response to demand from increasing numbers of visitors, hotels were established in the village.<br /> <br /> Aviemore saw a second period of growth in the 1960s, with the development of the Cairn Gorm ski areas. The Aviemore Centre was built in 1964, providing a wide range of services to visitors and residents of Aviemore, including a swimming pool, an ice rink, crazy golf and a cinema. However, the architecture of the building attracted much controversy and within only a decade, cracks began to appear in the concrete. Interest in the facilities gradually waned and over a period of time the buildings were demolished to allow more profitable use of the land. <br /> <br /> Today, the town of Aviemore is once again a thriving holiday resort, offering various facilities to residents and visitors alike