Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Golspie Burn and Tower Lodge
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0296
PLACENAME
Goslpie
DISTRICT
Golspie, Rogart and Lairg
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Golspie
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32201
KEYWORDS
fisher villages
Highland Clearances
Northern Railway
colleges
schools
postcards
burns
Dunrobin Glen
walking
stream
streams
lodges
Golspie Burn and Tower Lodge

This postcard shows Golspie Burn and Tower Lodge in Sutherland. Situated close to Dunrobin Castle, this was the place where Sutherland clansmen would rally in feudal times. The wooded braes above Goslpie burn lead to Dunrobin Glen, a popular destination for walkers.

Golspie was once a small fishing village with only a handful of thatched houses but due to the effects of the Highland Clearances, the village rapidly developed into a town. People were evicted from the nearby straths, especially from the town of Lairg, and settled in the newly laid out streets of Golspie. By the 1830s the town had a population of around 450 and its facilities incorporated a post office, a bank, inns, a school and a nearby mill.

Golspie went through a second stage of development when, in 1868, it became the terminus for the Northern Railway. In 1903, a technical college was built in the town, which today is incorporated into Golspie High School

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Golspie Burn and Tower Lodge

SUTHERLAND: Golspie

1910s

fisher villages; Highland Clearances; Northern Railway; colleges; schools; postcards; burns; Dunrobin Glen; walking; stream; streams; lodges

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Golspie Burn and Tower Lodge in Sutherland. Situated close to Dunrobin Castle, this was the place where Sutherland clansmen would rally in feudal times. The wooded braes above Goslpie burn lead to Dunrobin Glen, a popular destination for walkers. <br /> <br /> Golspie was once a small fishing village with only a handful of thatched houses but due to the effects of the Highland Clearances, the village rapidly developed into a town. People were evicted from the nearby straths, especially from the town of Lairg, and settled in the newly laid out streets of Golspie. By the 1830s the town had a population of around 450 and its facilities incorporated a post office, a bank, inns, a school and a nearby mill.<br /> <br /> Golspie went through a second stage of development when, in 1868, it became the terminus for the Northern Railway. In 1903, a technical college was built in the town, which today is incorporated into Golspie High School