Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cromarty East
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0318
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32222
KEYWORDS
postcards
towns
firths
regiments
Cromarty East

This postcard shows Cromarty, with the hills of Easter Ross beyond. Ships of the Navy's fleet can be seen in the Cromarty Firth, a deep natural harbour.

Cromarty, from the Gaelic "cromba" meaning "crooked bay", is situated on the northern tip of the Black Isle on the shore of the Cromarty Firth, an inlet of the Moray Firth.

Above the picture is the badge of the Seaforth Highlanders. Underneath the stag's head is the motto "Cuidich 'n Righ" which means "Help the King".

The regiment was raised in 1778 by Kenneth Mackenzie, Earl of Seaforth, with men from Ross and Cromarty, Sutherland, Caithness, the Orkney Islands and Moray. Originally destined to fight in the American War of Independence the Seaforth Highlanders never got there but went on to fight in South Africa, Crimea, Afghanistan, India, Egypt, the Far East and in both world wars before being amalgamated in 1961 with the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.

There are two possible origins for the motto. It may have been because the Clan Mackenzie paid an annual fee of a stag to the King or from an incident when the King fell while hunting and was saved from an angry stag by Colin Mackenzie of Kintail who shouted "Cuidich 'n righ!"

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cromarty East

ROSS: Cromarty

1910s

postcards; towns; firths; regiments

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Cromarty, with the hills of Easter Ross beyond. Ships of the Navy's fleet can be seen in the Cromarty Firth, a deep natural harbour.<br /> <br /> Cromarty, from the Gaelic "cromba" meaning "crooked bay", is situated on the northern tip of the Black Isle on the shore of the Cromarty Firth, an inlet of the Moray Firth. <br /> <br /> Above the picture is the badge of the Seaforth Highlanders. Underneath the stag's head is the motto "Cuidich 'n Righ" which means "Help the King".<br /> <br /> The regiment was raised in 1778 by Kenneth Mackenzie, Earl of Seaforth, with men from Ross and Cromarty, Sutherland, Caithness, the Orkney Islands and Moray. Originally destined to fight in the American War of Independence the Seaforth Highlanders never got there but went on to fight in South Africa, Crimea, Afghanistan, India, Egypt, the Far East and in both world wars before being amalgamated in 1961 with the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. <br /> <br /> There are two possible origins for the motto. It may have been because the Clan Mackenzie paid an annual fee of a stag to the King or from an incident when the King fell while hunting and was saved from an angry stag by Colin Mackenzie of Kintail who shouted "Cuidich 'n righ!"