Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Town Hall and Hugh Miller Institute, Cromarty
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0333
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32239
KEYWORDS
postcards
town hall
court
clock
library
coat of arms
Town Hall and Hugh Miller Institute, Cromarty

This postcard from the early twentieth century shows the Town Hall and the Hugh Miller Institute in Church Street, Cromarty.

Above the picture is the burgh coat of arms which consists of three boars' heads on a shield with a coronet above. Around the shield are the words of the motto - "Meane Weil, Speak Weil and Doe Weil"

The Town Hall or Courthouse, with its projecting tower and octagonal domed copula, was built between 1770 and 1783. It was paid for, with additional funding from the Commissioners of the Annexed Estates, by George Ross of Pitkerie, who bought Cromarty Estate in 1767 and redeveloped the town. The clock was made by John Ross of Tain and a bell inside the tower, dating from 1778, came from a Spanish ship.
In the 1840s new prison cells were added and a heating and ventilation system installed. The court room has not been changed since the mid-nineteenth century. Cromarty Courthouse was restored in 1990 and opened as a museum run by a local Trust.

The Hugh Miller Institute, designed by the architects Ross and Macbeth, houses the public library. It was built in 1903-4 with money from the Carnegie Trust.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Town Hall and Hugh Miller Institute, Cromarty

ROSS: Cromarty

1900s

postcards; town hall; court; clock; library; coat of arms

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from the early twentieth century shows the Town Hall and the Hugh Miller Institute in Church Street, Cromarty.<br /> <br /> Above the picture is the burgh coat of arms which consists of three boars' heads on a shield with a coronet above. Around the shield are the words of the motto - "Meane Weil, Speak Weil and Doe Weil"<br /> <br /> The Town Hall or Courthouse, with its projecting tower and octagonal domed copula, was built between 1770 and 1783. It was paid for, with additional funding from the Commissioners of the Annexed Estates, by George Ross of Pitkerie, who bought Cromarty Estate in 1767 and redeveloped the town. The clock was made by John Ross of Tain and a bell inside the tower, dating from 1778, came from a Spanish ship.<br /> In the 1840s new prison cells were added and a heating and ventilation system installed. The court room has not been changed since the mid-nineteenth century. Cromarty Courthouse was restored in 1990 and opened as a museum run by a local Trust.<br /> <br /> The Hugh Miller Institute, designed by the architects Ross and Macbeth, houses the public library. It was built in 1903-4 with money from the Carnegie Trust.