Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Town Hall and Hugh Miller Institute, Cromarty
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0333_AT
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
32240
KEYWORDS
town hall
court
clock
library
coat of arms
Town Hall and Hugh Miller Institute, Cromarty

The Town Hall or Courthouse, with its projecting tower and octagonal domed copula, was built between 1770 and 1783. It was paid for, with additional funding from the Commissioners of the Annexed Estates, by George Ross of Pitkerie, who bought Cromarty Estate in 1767 and redeveloped the town. The clock was made by John Ross of Tain and a bell inside the tower, dating from 1778, came from a Spanish ship.
In the 1840s new prison cells were added and a heating and ventilation system installed. The court room has not been changed since the mid-nineteenth century. Cromarty Courthouse was restored in 1990 and opened as a museum run by a local Trust.

The Hugh Miller Institute, designed by the architects Ross and Macbeth, houses the public library. It was built in 1903-4 with money from the Carnegie Trust.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Town Hall and Hugh Miller Institute, Cromarty

ROSS: Cromarty

2000s

town hall; court; clock; library; coat of arms

Andrew Taylor

The Town Hall or Courthouse, with its projecting tower and octagonal domed copula, was built between 1770 and 1783. It was paid for, with additional funding from the Commissioners of the Annexed Estates, by George Ross of Pitkerie, who bought Cromarty Estate in 1767 and redeveloped the town. The clock was made by John Ross of Tain and a bell inside the tower, dating from 1778, came from a Spanish ship.<br /> In the 1840s new prison cells were added and a heating and ventilation system installed. The court room has not been changed since the mid-nineteenth century. Cromarty Courthouse was restored in 1990 and opened as a museum run by a local Trust.<br /> <br /> The Hugh Miller Institute, designed by the architects Ross and Macbeth, houses the public library. It was built in 1903-4 with money from the Carnegie Trust.