Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dreadnoughts Leaving Cromarty
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0334
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32241
KEYWORDS
postcards
firth
town
navy
harbour
oil
Dreadnoughts Leaving Cromarty

Dreadnoughts leaving Cromarty

This postcard shows the town of Cromarty situated on the northern tip of the Black Isle. In the centre is the tower and domed copula of the Courthouse. Beyond is the Cromarty Firth, with ships of the navy's fleet, and in the distance the coast of Easter Ross and the cliffs of the North Sutor, one of the two headlands which guard the entrance to the Cromarty Firth.

The Cromarty Firth is an inlet of the Moray Firth. Formed at the same time as Loch Ness it is a deep natural harbour. In 1912 it became a naval base and provided a safe anchorage for the fleet in both world wars. The entrance to the Firth was easily protected from two headlands, the North and South Sutors, where the remains of the coastal defences can still be seen. More recently the Cromarty Firth has been used for the construction, repair and mothballing of North Sea oil rigs.

The first Dreadnought was launched in 1906 and gave its name to a type of battleship which was greatly superior in armament to any previous warship.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dreadnoughts Leaving Cromarty

ROSS: Cromarty

postcards; firth; town; navy; harbour; oil

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Dreadnoughts leaving Cromarty<br /> <br /> This postcard shows the town of Cromarty situated on the northern tip of the Black Isle. In the centre is the tower and domed copula of the Courthouse. Beyond is the Cromarty Firth, with ships of the navy's fleet, and in the distance the coast of Easter Ross and the cliffs of the North Sutor, one of the two headlands which guard the entrance to the Cromarty Firth.<br /> <br /> The Cromarty Firth is an inlet of the Moray Firth. Formed at the same time as Loch Ness it is a deep natural harbour. In 1912 it became a naval base and provided a safe anchorage for the fleet in both world wars. The entrance to the Firth was easily protected from two headlands, the North and South Sutors, where the remains of the coastal defences can still be seen. More recently the Cromarty Firth has been used for the construction, repair and mothballing of North Sea oil rigs.<br /> <br /> The first Dreadnought was launched in 1906 and gave its name to a type of battleship which was greatly superior in armament to any previous warship.