Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cromarty
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0335
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
DATE OF IMAGE
1913
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32242
KEYWORDS
postcards
towns
firths
museums
Cromarty

This postcard from 1913 shows the town of Cromarty. Beyond is the entrance to the Cromarty Firth guarded by the headlands of the North and South Sutors.

In the centre is the tower and octagonal domed copula of the Courthouse, built between 1770 and 1783. It was paid for, with additional funding from the Commissioners of the Annexed Estates, by George Ross of Pitkerie, who bought Cromarty Estate in 1767 and redeveloped the town. Cromarty Courthouse was restored in 1990 and opened as a museum run by a local Trust.

The Sutors are said to be named after two giants who lived on the headlands and watched over the people of Cromarty. They were hard working shoemakers who used to throw tools to each other across the narrow strait.

The Cromarty Firth is an inlet of the Moray Firth. Formed at the same time as Loch Ness it is a deep natural harbour. In 1912 it became a naval base and provided a safe anchorage for the fleet in both world wars. The entrance to the Firth was easily protected and the Sutors bristled with military fortifications the remains of which can still be seen. More recently the Cromarty Firth has been used for the construction and repair and mothballing of North Sea oil rigs.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cromarty

ROSS: Cromarty

1910s

postcards; towns; firths; museums

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries - Illustrated postcards

This postcard from 1913 shows the town of Cromarty. Beyond is the entrance to the Cromarty Firth guarded by the headlands of the North and South Sutors. <br /> <br /> In the centre is the tower and octagonal domed copula of the Courthouse, built between 1770 and 1783. It was paid for, with additional funding from the Commissioners of the Annexed Estates, by George Ross of Pitkerie, who bought Cromarty Estate in 1767 and redeveloped the town. Cromarty Courthouse was restored in 1990 and opened as a museum run by a local Trust.<br /> <br /> The Sutors are said to be named after two giants who lived on the headlands and watched over the people of Cromarty. They were hard working shoemakers who used to throw tools to each other across the narrow strait. <br /> <br /> The Cromarty Firth is an inlet of the Moray Firth. Formed at the same time as Loch Ness it is a deep natural harbour. In 1912 it became a naval base and provided a safe anchorage for the fleet in both world wars. The entrance to the Firth was easily protected and the Sutors bristled with military fortifications the remains of which can still be seen. More recently the Cromarty Firth has been used for the construction and repair and mothballing of North Sea oil rigs.