Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Harbour and Fleet, Cromarty
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0339
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
DATE OF IMAGE
1914
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32247
KEYWORDS
postcards
harbours
ports
fishing
emmigration
navy
The Harbour and Fleet, Cromarty

This postcard from 1914 shows the harbour and the fleet at Cromarty. In the early eighteenth century Cromarty was already an international port trading with Norway, Sweden and Holland as well as England. Timber, iron, gin and coal were imported and grain and salted fish exported. The harbour was built between 1781and 1784 when the original stone jetty was extended and a new pier and breakwater added. It was paid for by George Ross of Pitkerie who bought Cromarty Estate and redeveloped the town.

Cromarty was an important port and for a time very prosperous. Flax was imported from the Baltic for the hemp factory, also built by George Ross, to make rope and cloth. There was a thriving fishing community which boomed in the seventeenth and eighteenth century when there was an abundance of herring.

In the nineteenth century emigrants set sail from Cromarty to Canada, North America and Australia. However improved rail and road links brought an end to Cromarty's importance as a port.

The Cromarty Firth provided a deep, natural harbour. In 1912 it became a naval base and provided a safe anchorage for the Navy's fleet in both world wars. Cromarty's harbour was once again much in use. More recently the Cromarty Firth has been used for the construction, repair and mothballing of North Sea oil rigs.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Harbour and Fleet, Cromarty

ROSS: Cromarty

1910s

postcards; harbours; ports; fishing; emmigration; navy

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from 1914 shows the harbour and the fleet at Cromarty. In the early eighteenth century Cromarty was already an international port trading with Norway, Sweden and Holland as well as England. Timber, iron, gin and coal were imported and grain and salted fish exported. The harbour was built between 1781and 1784 when the original stone jetty was extended and a new pier and breakwater added. It was paid for by George Ross of Pitkerie who bought Cromarty Estate and redeveloped the town.<br /> <br /> Cromarty was an important port and for a time very prosperous. Flax was imported from the Baltic for the hemp factory, also built by George Ross, to make rope and cloth. There was a thriving fishing community which boomed in the seventeenth and eighteenth century when there was an abundance of herring. <br /> <br /> In the nineteenth century emigrants set sail from Cromarty to Canada, North America and Australia. However improved rail and road links brought an end to Cromarty's importance as a port.<br /> <br /> The Cromarty Firth provided a deep, natural harbour. In 1912 it became a naval base and provided a safe anchorage for the Navy's fleet in both world wars. Cromarty's harbour was once again much in use. More recently the Cromarty Firth has been used for the construction, repair and mothballing of North Sea oil rigs.