Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cromarty from the Harbour
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0344
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
DATE OF IMAGE
1969
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32254
KEYWORDS
postcards
harbours
ports
fishing
emmigration
navy
Cromarty from the Harbour

This postcard from 1969 shows Cromarty taken from the harbour. The lifeboat, RNLB Lilla Marras, Douglas & Will, is in the foreground.

Beyond the harbour is Marine Terrace with the Royal Hotel, converted from a row of nineteenth century houses. On the left of the hotel is Bank Street leading to the High Street. On the right is the old hemp factory built by George Ross of Pitkerie, who bought Cromarty Estate and redeveloped the town. The buildings have been converted into houses.

The harbour was built between 1781and 1784 when the original stone jetty was extended and a new pier and breakwater added. It was also paid for by George Ross.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cromarty from the Harbour

ROSS: Cromarty

1960s

postcards; harbours; ports; fishing; emmigration; navy

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from 1969 shows Cromarty taken from the harbour. The lifeboat, RNLB Lilla Marras, Douglas & Will, is in the foreground.<br /> <br /> Beyond the harbour is Marine Terrace with the Royal Hotel, converted from a row of nineteenth century houses. On the left of the hotel is Bank Street leading to the High Street. On the right is the old hemp factory built by George Ross of Pitkerie, who bought Cromarty Estate and redeveloped the town. The buildings have been converted into houses.<br /> <br /> The harbour was built between 1781and 1784 when the original stone jetty was extended and a new pier and breakwater added. It was also paid for by George Ross.