Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Lighthouse, Cromarty
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0347
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
DATE OF IMAGE
PERIOD
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32259
KEYWORDS
postcards
lighthouses
fishing
The Lighthouse, Cromarty

This postcard from the early twentieth century shows the lighthouse in Cromarty.
The grassy area where the two girls are standing is the links.

The street above the links is Braehead. It was once called "Pickletoun" because fish were salted and packed in barrels here.

The lighthouse was built by Alan Stevenson, an uncle of Robert Louis Stevenson, in 1846 on the site of the old gallows. The lighthouse and the keepers' cottages have Egyptian features.

To the right of the lighthouse is the coastguard station

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Lighthouse, Cromarty

ROSS: Cromarty

postcards; lighthouses; fishing

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from the early twentieth century shows the lighthouse in Cromarty.<br /> The grassy area where the two girls are standing is the links.<br /> <br /> The street above the links is Braehead. It was once called "Pickletoun" because fish were salted and packed in barrels here.<br /> <br /> The lighthouse was built by Alan Stevenson, an uncle of Robert Louis Stevenson, in 1846 on the site of the old gallows. The lighthouse and the keepers' cottages have Egyptian features. <br /> <br /> To the right of the lighthouse is the coastguard station