Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Lighthouse and Coastguard Station, Cromarty
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0348
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32260
KEYWORDS
postcards
lighthouses
navy
The Lighthouse and Coastguard Station, Cromarty

This postcard from the early twentieth century shows the lighthouse and coastguard station in Cromarty. On the left is a glimpse of the Cromarty Firth and a warship.
The lighthouse was built by Alan Stevenson, an uncle of Robert Louis Stevenson, in 1846 on the site of the old gallows. The lighthouse and the keepers' cottages have Egyptian features.

To the right of the lighthouse is the coastguard station.

The Cromarty Firth is an inlet of the Moray Firth. Formed at the same time as Loch Ness it is a deep natural harbour. In 1912 it became a naval base and provided a safe anchorage for the fleet in both world wars.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Lighthouse and Coastguard Station, Cromarty

ROSS: Cromarty

1900s

postcards; lighthouses; navy

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from the early twentieth century shows the lighthouse and coastguard station in Cromarty. On the left is a glimpse of the Cromarty Firth and a warship.<br /> The lighthouse was built by Alan Stevenson, an uncle of Robert Louis Stevenson, in 1846 on the site of the old gallows. The lighthouse and the keepers' cottages have Egyptian features. <br /> <br /> To the right of the lighthouse is the coastguard station.<br /> <br /> The Cromarty Firth is an inlet of the Moray Firth. Formed at the same time as Loch Ness it is a deep natural harbour. In 1912 it became a naval base and provided a safe anchorage for the fleet in both world wars.