Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Lighthouse and Coastguard Station, Cromarty
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0348_AT
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
32261
KEYWORDS
lighthouses
navy
The Lighthouse and Coastguard Station, Cromarty

The lighthouse was built by Alan Stevenson, an uncle of Robert Louis Stevenson, in 1846 on the site of the old gallows. The lighthouse and the keepers' cottages have Egyptian features.

To the right of the lighthouse is the coastguard station.

The Cromarty Firth is an inlet of the Moray Firth. Formed at the same time as Loch Ness it is a deep natural harbour. In 1912 it became a naval base and provided a safe anchorage for the fleet in both world wars.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Lighthouse and Coastguard Station, Cromarty

ROSS: Cromarty

2000s

lighthouses; navy

Andrew Taylor

The lighthouse was built by Alan Stevenson, an uncle of Robert Louis Stevenson, in 1846 on the site of the old gallows. The lighthouse and the keepers' cottages have Egyptian features. <br /> <br /> To the right of the lighthouse is the coastguard station.<br /> <br /> The Cromarty Firth is an inlet of the Moray Firth. Formed at the same time as Loch Ness it is a deep natural harbour. In 1912 it became a naval base and provided a safe anchorage for the fleet in both world wars.