Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
View from Mains Avenue, Cromarty
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0359
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32272
KEYWORDS
postcards
firths
harbours
fishing
navy
oil
View from Mains Avenue, Cromarty

This postcard shows a view from Main's Avenue, Cromarty looking across the Cromarty Firth to the hills of Easter Ross.

The Cromarty Firth is an inlet of the Moray Firth which separates the Black Isle from the mainland. Formed at the same time as Loch Ness it is a deep, natural harbour. Surrounded by rich, arable land it was a centre for herring fishing in its heyday and enjoyed trade with the continent. In 1912 it became a naval base and provided a safe anchorage for the fleet in both world wars. The entrance to the Firth was easily protected from two headlands, the North and South Sutors, where the remains of the coastal defences can still be seen. More recently the Cromarty Firth has been used for the construction, repair and storing of North Sea oil rigs.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

View from Mains Avenue, Cromarty

ROSS: Cromarty

1940s

postcards; firths; harbours; fishing; navy; oil

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view from Main's Avenue, Cromarty looking across the Cromarty Firth to the hills of Easter Ross.<br /> <br /> The Cromarty Firth is an inlet of the Moray Firth which separates the Black Isle from the mainland. Formed at the same time as Loch Ness it is a deep, natural harbour. Surrounded by rich, arable land it was a centre for herring fishing in its heyday and enjoyed trade with the continent. In 1912 it became a naval base and provided a safe anchorage for the fleet in both world wars. The entrance to the Firth was easily protected from two headlands, the North and South Sutors, where the remains of the coastal defences can still be seen. More recently the Cromarty Firth has been used for the construction, repair and storing of North Sea oil rigs.