Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Tulloch Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0369
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
1904
PERIOD
1900s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32282
KEYWORDS
postcards
castles
Norse
Tulloch Castle

This postcard from 1904 shows Tulloch Castle.

Tulloch Castle is situated about a mile north of Dingwall, on the North side of the Cromarty Firth. Tulloch is from the Gaelic "tuich" meaning "hillock".

There may have been a Norse stronghold here and twelfth century work may be incorporated in the tower or "keep" built by Duncan Bain in 1542. A castle was built on to the keep in the seventeenth century. In 1762 the castle was sold to the Davidsons. It was extended in 1891 and again in 1920-2.

Duncan Davidson, the fourth laird, was nicknamed "The Stag". Born in 1800, elected Member of Parliament for Cromarty in 1826 and a favourite of Queen Victoria, he had five wives, eighteen children and at least thirty illegitimate children. One of his daughters is said to have run off after seeing her father with another woman. She fell down the stairs and was killed. It is possible that she is the "Green Lady" who is supposed to haunt the castle.

The last of the direct line of Davidsons died in 1917.The castle was used as a hospital in World War II. It was taken over by Highland Council and used as a hostel for Dingwall Academy. It has been a hotel since 1996.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Tulloch Castle

ROSS: Dingwall

1900s

postcards; castles; Norse;

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from 1904 shows Tulloch Castle.<br /> <br /> Tulloch Castle is situated about a mile north of Dingwall, on the North side of the Cromarty Firth. Tulloch is from the Gaelic "tuich" meaning "hillock".<br /> <br /> There may have been a Norse stronghold here and twelfth century work may be incorporated in the tower or "keep" built by Duncan Bain in 1542. A castle was built on to the keep in the seventeenth century. In 1762 the castle was sold to the Davidsons. It was extended in 1891 and again in 1920-2. <br /> <br /> Duncan Davidson, the fourth laird, was nicknamed "The Stag". Born in 1800, elected Member of Parliament for Cromarty in 1826 and a favourite of Queen Victoria, he had five wives, eighteen children and at least thirty illegitimate children. One of his daughters is said to have run off after seeing her father with another woman. She fell down the stairs and was killed. It is possible that she is the "Green Lady" who is supposed to haunt the castle.<br /> <br /> The last of the direct line of Davidsons died in 1917.The castle was used as a hospital in World War II. It was taken over by Highland Council and used as a hostel for Dingwall Academy. It has been a hotel since 1996.