Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A Double Scotch from Dingwall
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0371
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32286
KEYWORDS
postcards
towns
hotels
castles
mountains
hillforts
firths
A Double Scotch from Dingwall

This postcard from the early twentieth century shows four views from around Dingwall; the National Hotel, Dingwall looking towards Ben Wyvis, Dingwall and the Cromarty Firth and Knock Farrell

The National Hotel on the north side of the High Street in Dingwall was built in 1858.

Dingwall, the county town for Ross and Cromarty, is situated at the head of the Cromarty Firth. Macbeth is believed to have been born in the castle here in 1005. The Norse leader Thorfin established his "seat of justice" or "thing vollr" here and gave Dingwall its name. Alexander II created Dingwall a royal burgh in 1227. The Earls of Ross ruled here until the fifteenth century when the last earl was involved in a failed attempt to overthrow the throne and the title reverted to the Crown.

Dingwall declined in the seventeenth century and the castle was demolished in 1818. Fortunes improved with the building of a harbour by Thomas Telford. A canal was also built but quickly fell in to disuse. The coming of the railway in 1862 brought more prosperity. The town developed as a market town and agricultural centre with a permanent livestock mart.

Ben Wyvis, at 3430 feet, is the largest and highest mountain on the east of Scotland north of Inverness. Wyvis possibly derives from the Gaelic "fhuathais" which could have a number of meanings - terror, awesome, high, noble, and spectral. This great mountain is all of these. In the eastern corries snow lies for many months and when the Mackenzies held the land from the King it was on the condition that they could produce a snowball whenever it was demanded

Knock Farrell is a conical hill crowned with an ancient Pictish vitrified hillfort. It may have been a stronghold of King Brude. Situated on the south side of the Strathpeffer valley it is the summit of a ridge of hills known as the Cat's Back and has fine views as far as Craig Phadraig near Inverness and the North Sutor of Cromarty.

A vitrified fort is one where the ramparts have been burnt at such high temperatures that the stones have fused into a glassy mass. Fire may have been accidental or possibly intentional to strengthen the walls or may have been the result of warfare.

The Cromarty Firth is an inlet of the Moray Firth which separates the Black Isle from the mainland. Formed at the same time as Loch Ness it is a deep, natural harbour. The firth is surrounded by rich, arable land. It was a centre for herring fishing in its heyday and enjoyed trade with the continent.

In 1912 it became a naval base and provided a safe anchorage for the fleet in both world wars. More recently the Cromarty Firth has been used for the construction, repair and mothballing of North Sea oil rigs.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A Double Scotch from Dingwall

ROSS: Dingwall

1930s

postcards; towns; hotels; castles; mountains; hillforts; firths

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from the early twentieth century shows four views from around Dingwall; the National Hotel, Dingwall looking towards Ben Wyvis, Dingwall and the Cromarty Firth and Knock Farrell<br /> <br /> The National Hotel on the north side of the High Street in Dingwall was built in 1858.<br /> <br /> Dingwall, the county town for Ross and Cromarty, is situated at the head of the Cromarty Firth. Macbeth is believed to have been born in the castle here in 1005. The Norse leader Thorfin established his "seat of justice" or "thing vollr" here and gave Dingwall its name. Alexander II created Dingwall a royal burgh in 1227. The Earls of Ross ruled here until the fifteenth century when the last earl was involved in a failed attempt to overthrow the throne and the title reverted to the Crown.<br /> <br /> Dingwall declined in the seventeenth century and the castle was demolished in 1818. Fortunes improved with the building of a harbour by Thomas Telford. A canal was also built but quickly fell in to disuse. The coming of the railway in 1862 brought more prosperity. The town developed as a market town and agricultural centre with a permanent livestock mart.<br /> <br /> Ben Wyvis, at 3430 feet, is the largest and highest mountain on the east of Scotland north of Inverness. Wyvis possibly derives from the Gaelic "fhuathais" which could have a number of meanings - terror, awesome, high, noble, and spectral. This great mountain is all of these. In the eastern corries snow lies for many months and when the Mackenzies held the land from the King it was on the condition that they could produce a snowball whenever it was demanded<br /> <br /> Knock Farrell is a conical hill crowned with an ancient Pictish vitrified hillfort. It may have been a stronghold of King Brude. Situated on the south side of the Strathpeffer valley it is the summit of a ridge of hills known as the Cat's Back and has fine views as far as Craig Phadraig near Inverness and the North Sutor of Cromarty.<br /> <br /> A vitrified fort is one where the ramparts have been burnt at such high temperatures that the stones have fused into a glassy mass. Fire may have been accidental or possibly intentional to strengthen the walls or may have been the result of warfare.<br /> <br /> The Cromarty Firth is an inlet of the Moray Firth which separates the Black Isle from the mainland. Formed at the same time as Loch Ness it is a deep, natural harbour. The firth is surrounded by rich, arable land. It was a centre for herring fishing in its heyday and enjoyed trade with the continent.<br /> <br /> In 1912 it became a naval base and provided a safe anchorage for the fleet in both world wars. More recently the Cromarty Firth has been used for the construction, repair and mothballing of North Sea oil rigs.