Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Seaforth Highlanders Memorial Cross, near Dingwall Station
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0387
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32307
KEYWORDS
postcards
Seaforth Highlanders
memorials
The Seaforth Highlanders Memorial Cross, near Dingwall Station

This postcard shows the Seaforth Highlanders Memorial Cross brought from France and re-decorated at Dingwall.

The wooden cross was originally erected in the village of Fontaine Notre Dame in France in November 1917 in honour of the Seaforth Highlanders who fell at the Battle of Cambrai. With the efforts of Colonel T.W. Cuthbert, C.M.G., D.S.O. it was brought to Dingwall in 1924.The rustic cross stands on a plinth of granite from the Ardross Estate. The panels have the names of the five officers and thirty-five soldiers who fell on the 21st and 22nd November 1917 and two more panels give the history of the cross.

The inscription on one panel reads "re-erected here by the 4th Seaforth Reunion Club 1914-1918. In memory of their beloved dead. No burdens yonder, all sorrows past, no burdens yonder, home at last." It was unveiled on 12th March 1925.

This photograph was taken by F W Urquhart, a photographer in Dingwall. He served as a gunner in the Royal Artillery during the Great War and was the last man to fire the cannons situated at the Macdonald Monument at the cemetery on Dingwall on Armistice Day.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Seaforth Highlanders Memorial Cross, near Dingwall Station

ROSS: Dingwall

1920s

postcards;Seaforth Highlanders; memorials

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the Seaforth Highlanders Memorial Cross brought from France and re-decorated at Dingwall.<br /> <br /> The wooden cross was originally erected in the village of Fontaine Notre Dame in France in November 1917 in honour of the Seaforth Highlanders who fell at the Battle of Cambrai. With the efforts of Colonel T.W. Cuthbert, C.M.G., D.S.O. it was brought to Dingwall in 1924.The rustic cross stands on a plinth of granite from the Ardross Estate. The panels have the names of the five officers and thirty-five soldiers who fell on the 21st and 22nd November 1917 and two more panels give the history of the cross. <br /> <br /> The inscription on one panel reads "re-erected here by the 4th Seaforth Reunion Club 1914-1918. In memory of their beloved dead. No burdens yonder, all sorrows past, no burdens yonder, home at last." It was unveiled on 12th March 1925.<br /> <br /> This photograph was taken by F W Urquhart, a photographer in Dingwall. He served as a gunner in the Royal Artillery during the Great War and was the last man to fire the cannons situated at the Macdonald Monument at the cemetery on Dingwall on Armistice Day.